Thursday, December 1, 2011

Salad Greens

Some fresh salad clippings from my garden.

I love being able to go to my back porch and snip some greens for a salad.  This quick post is just an encouragement to go grow something.  One of the easiest things to do is to grow salad greens.  Just get a few flower pots or window boxes, fill them up with good potting soil and compost, and plant a mix of salad greens.  You can either buy a premixed packet of seeds or build your own.  Keep them well watered.  Before you know it, you'll have to snip out some of the tender leaves just so the other plants have room to grow.

I have about 8-10 different varieties of greens growing in two window boxes and two flower pots (seven of them are shown in the photo above).  At this time of year in my climate, in just this little space, I grow enough for a small side salad for me and my wife every night, one main salad for me every other day, or a main salad for both of us about once a week (maybe twice).  The variety of colors and textures is great.  The flavor is so much better than store bought.  I don't have to worry about what chemicals were sprayed on my food, because I grew it (... no chemicals by the way!).  And I get the satisfaction of producing my own food... even just this little bit.

So, what are you waiting for?  Get out and grow some food!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! I'm in the middle of organizing the food for our students for our upcoming course! Check it out- Jane and Jillian are amazing guides
    http://www.gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents/permaculturecourse.html
    -peas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love being able to go to my back porch and snip some greens for a salad. This quick post is just an encouragement to go grow something. One of the easiest things to do is to grow salad greens. Just get a few flower pots or window boxes, pink dress for kids , little girl yellow easter dresses , little girl red formal dress , little girl green dress fill them up with good potting soil and compost, and plant a mix of salad greens. You can either buy a premixed packet of seeds or build your own. Keep them well watered. Before you know it, you'll have to snip out some of the tender leaves just so the other plants have room to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. شركة كشف تسربات المياه بمكة
    شركة كشف تسربات المياه بجدة
    شركة تنظيف خزانات بالطائف
    تقدم شركة العطار خدمات كشف تسربات المياه وتعمل علي اصلاحها
    من افضل واكبر الشركات المتخصصه فى مجال كشف تسربات المياه نعتبر من الشركات الرائده بمجال كشف تسربات المياه نستخدم افضل واحدث الوسائل والادوات المستخدمه للكشف عن الاسباب الرئيسيه فى تسربات المياه دون الحاجه للقيام باى اعمال تكسيرات او احداث اى خسائر ماديه نقوم بتقديم افضل الخدمات خدمات على اعلى مستوى

    ReplyDelete